Chilly mornings are a distant memory, the mould is back and air conditioners are being prepped. Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to get out into the countryside and dip your stressed-out humid bodies into the river or sea, and stay in a tent under the stars.
Today we will introduce one of the best, cheapest and most relaxing campsites on the Shimanto river…
- Take the 56 or expressway west out of Kochi and keep going till you get to Kubokawa
- Then turn right onto route 381 in Kubokawa.
- You will now follow the Shimanto river into the hills for about 30km.
- Go past Taisho-cho and just before you get to Showa-cho you will see said river-island and a little sign to the campsite.
- Take a very sharp left turn just before a tunnel, and then go over a ‘chinka’ bashi (one of those submergable bridges)
- Then follow the signs
The reason this campsite is so highly recommended by us is that…
- You are free to camp wherever you like – there are no strict zones. Just rock up and choose your spot.
- You have to pay the princely sum of 300 yen per person to camp there.
- You have your own private little patch of river to play in.
This place really is wonderful. Hopefully see you there on one of these sunny weekends!
Leave a comment down below if you’ve got anything to contribute to this post.
Make getting new posts like this one, and other news about events, art, music, places to see, and things to do in Kochi as easy as getting an e-mail from a friend. Subscribe for our free weekly newsletter: